Back in November, I decided to have a go at a quilt-as-you-go patchwork version of Amy Butler's Weekender Bag. Since then I've been steadily ploughing onwards a bit at a time, and now I've finished the piecing, and am halfway through putting the bag together. Pics after the jump...
The first piece quilted on:
First pocket pieced:
(That uncovered bit in the corner? I should have added something to cover that. I've had to bring the corner of the bag in by 1/4" instead.)
Pocket with cording and lining added:
Both main bag sides with pockets basted on, handles sewn on, and cording attached:
I quilted the handles rather than use interfacing or Peltex to strengthen them. Instead I added a 7/8" thick piece of the thick cotton I used for the backing of the patchwork pieces, and a 7/8" thick piece of batting, then quilted diagonally across the handles. Here they're tucked into the pockets to be out of the way while I attached the cording.
I added a magnetic snap to the large pockets. Not yet sure if I'll add one to the smaller ones, which might be easier to use without.
I don't have a photo of the top panel and end pockets pieced, but I'll try to remember to take one before I start fitting the zip, which is the next stage. I'm away for the weekend in mid-February and hope to have it finished for then.