My grape vine has been getting munched up by (I assume) the snails; and one of my (still tiny) courgette plants is looking at risk too. After perusing the Organic Gardening Catalogue, I have acquired a set of little spiky fences to go around the grape vine, and some copper tape around the courgette. I will report back.
I've also got ants farming aphids on the apple tree. Apparently, a ring of gaffer tape, sticky side out, around the tree will solve this problem. Again: defences are in place, and I will report back.
And here's a blog post elsewhere on permaculture and container gardening.
A final note: half of my broad beans appear to have grown without any actual beans in the pods (well: the beans are there, but they didn't fill out). My assumption is that this is to do with the crappy weather, but I am nevertheless sad. Maybe the green beans will do better? If the sun ever comes out for any reasonable time...
At the weekend I hoicked out the tomatoes (getting a fair crop of green tomatoes in the process), courgettes, gone-to-seed lettuce, and a bundle of unexpected carrots, to clear some space before winter.
I also dug over the compost and found huge bundles of happy worms and woodlice doing their thing in there. (I should really have taken a photo, shouldn't I?) I felt a bit bad upsetting them all in order to extract some of the lovely dark compost-y compost from the bottom of the pile. There was enough to spread over a single bed; hopefully by the spring there'll be another bed's worth as well. There's something very satisfying about compost; all that waste turned into lovely rich stuff to help your plants grow. It just looks productive.
Winter lettuce is doing nicely and needs thinning soon; chard also doing well; pak choi suffering from slug/snail depradations.
I also planted one whole bed and an extra row of broad beans, and two rows of snow peas. By getting the beans in now, they have a chance to get going in the spring before the ants and the aphids move in. Which also means that after the first crop in the spring, I may as well hoick them out again as by then the ants and aphids have overrun the plants. That, in turn, means I can plant nearly as many as I like since by the time I want to put other things in, they'll be out. Succession sowing is also very satisfying!
With the single currently-active raised bed in the back garden, I experimented with a winter polyculture, or mixed-veg bed. It's now looking very healthy, with plants in various stages of growth:
- Some garlic poking its head up, all around the edge of the bed. Garlic is often a good choice for edging beds, as it'll help to keep off pests (when they return in the spring). I didn't get around to getting a decent bulb of garlic from a proper shop, so I just stuck in cloves from a bulb from the Co-op. I wouldn't want to save any cloves for next year from this crop (since I know nothing about its parentage), but it was a quick and easy solution.
- A row of winter lettuce seedlings at the back of the bed.
- Some very healthy-looking broccoli raab and turnips (although the turnips themselves are not up to that much; I will use the greens as well when I pull them up, to make the most of the crop).
- A couple of small chard plants.
- You may also spot a fair few small rocket plants scattered around the bed. I had lots of rocket seed so scattered it widely. It needs some fairly aggressive thinning, as it's over-thick, but it's very tasty so this isn't a hardship. Having the soil covered thickly like this with plants I do want reduces the number of plants I don't want (weeds) which can make their way in.
In addition to that lot, there's a few snow peas and broad beans that aren't quite up yet, planted where there were some bare patches towards the back of the bed. Looking for bare patches as the crops start to come up, and taking advantage of them, is another principle of polycultures and forest gardening type approaches.
I've also constructed another couple of raised beds (one has some broad beans in, but neither are full of compost yet), and transplanted the rosemary to its new home against the fence. The soil here is not great for a Mediterranean herb like rosemary; it's very clay-heavy, and not well-drained. To give the plant the best chance, we dug a biggish hole and dug in some compost and sharp sand at the bottom of it and around the plant. It's a sturdy plant (and was badly outgrowing its pot), so hopefully it'll survive the winter and get going again in the spring. The cuttings that I took (in case it does turn up its roots and die) seem to be doing well so far.
For the end of November, it's all looking pleasingly green; and I'm still getting regular (albeit small) crops of greens from it.