However much we try to reduce the amount of packaging that comes into your house and waste that goes out of it, it seems that we are still constantly throwing things out. Meanwhile, the baby wants something to play with... In true permaculture style, I can solve two problems at once by diverting some of the 'rubbish' from the recycling bin to the toy box. Read on over at NPN for a few suggestions that have gone down well with Leon.
Busy times over here, with Leon starting to walk and lots of summer fun stuff happening.
I've harvested my garlic, and for the first time ever got a really decent crop (14 bulbs) which look like they'll be very usable. Unfortunately I left it a week too late and the stalks are too dry to be plaited and hung to dry, so the bulbs are drying on a plate in the kitchen and being turned occasionally. I planted these garlics from a bulb (sold for eating) from the Co-op rather than buying proper seed garlic and they're my best ever, and I'm not quite sure what to think! I'm debating whether I should save a bulb for next year (usually discouraged I think if you've planted supermarket seed?), buy another Co-op bulb next year, or buy a 'proper' one.
Depressingly, though, my grape vine has died altogether. It got heavily munched by snails/slugs, but when I wrote to the nursery they thought it would recover. Sadly not. I am probably going to try again next year, but in the meantime I need a plan of action for dealing with the slimey beasties.
I've also started work on my Permaculture Diploma, which is exciting. I'm using the Back Garden Project as one of my designs, so have been pulling posts together from that and writing up my analysis more formally. Other projects on the horizon include a mini greenhouse for the back garden, a plan for the balcony and the front porch, and very excitingly, a plan for my friends' new allotment.
Four or five inches of snow on my raised beds earlier this week, but looks like the beans, peas, & garlic at least are trucking along under there. I got my tiny garden apprentice to help me take a look under the snow, although he did try to pull up one of the beans when we located them (they're quite firmly rooted, so it didn't work). Garlic shoots are visible in the bed in the background.
Then he tried eating the snow, face-first, before climbing right into the bed to play snow-plough.
Last week, before it snowed, we spent half an hour out in the garden with Leon pottering around investigating things (and, um, eating dirt) while I dug in the first half of the wooden edging for the western bed, along the fence. I've used a couple of nice solid 2"x4" lengths of wood from the scrap pile, as I wanted something that will be easily visible when weeding or cutting the grass. I'll add a photo next time I'm out there. The bed edges are looking good, but more enjoyable was the sense of pottering round the garden with Leon, undertaking our own projects alongside each other. More of that when the growing season starts, I hope.